This guide will help you find a VPN that uses Iran’s IP address.
VPNs are required to allow you to access blocked or geo-blocked websites, hide P2P traffic, prevent surveillance and protect your data in Iran. You can’t use every service, you must have an Iran VPN that the government doesn’t block.
Are you in a hurry?
These are the top VPNs for Iran:
- NordVPN is the fastest and most secure Iran VPN available on the market.
- PrivateVPN provides torrenting support.
- Surfshark – Unlimited connections and great anti-censorship options
- ExpressVPN is a fast and obfuscated VPN.
- VyprVPN uses its own obfuscation protocol.
How to Choose a VPN that is Good for Iran
This is what we focus on when choosing reliable VPNs for Iran.
- This works in Iran – this one is a no-brainer. Iran blocks many VPNs. You need one that can bypass government censorship.
- Obfuscation is a feature that hides VPN traffic. It disguises your VPN traffic as regular Internet traffic so that DPI (a network traffic analysis method) can’t block it.
- Strong security – An Iran VPN must use encryption ciphers such as AES256 or ChaCha20 to protect you. To prevent traffic leaks, it should have a kill switch.
- No logs policy The VPN should not log your IP address or monitor the sites you visit and the files you download. After all, you’re using VPN to eliminate surveillance.
- Protection – VPN leaks could compromise your data by revealing IP addresses and DNS queries. They are designed to protect you against DNS and IPv6 leaks.
- Cryptocurrency payments are more secure than online services such as PayPal and credit cards. If you wish to conceal that you are paying for a VPN, cryptocurrency support is a good option.
- Fast speeds Internet speeds in Iran are not the best. VPNs can slow down connections and encrypt your data. A service with unlimited bandwidth and fast connections is essential.
- Large server network – A VPN has tons of servers all around the globe and can unblock any foreign content.
- P2P Support – BitTorrenting in Iran can be illegal and dangerous. A VPN can be used to hide torrenting traffic. However, the service must allow P2P traffic to its servers.
- 24 hour support – If the app crashes, or you are unable to connect to a server immediately, you will need assistance. You should be able to contact the VPN 24/7 via live chat.
- Refund – In the event that things do not go according to plan, you will be able get your money back. Many VPNs offer a 30-day money back guarantee.
Which VPN is Best for Iran in 2021
Many VPNs advertise their services on landing pages. To find the best VPNs, we tested and reviewed over 20.
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for Iran
NordVPN is available in Iran, Russia and other countries that have restrictions like China and Russia. Support reps confirmed that Iranian users can use the VPN without any problems. NordVPN offers obfuscation on 150+ servers.
NordVPN offers excellent security. The VPN uses strong encryption and has a reliable kill button. Every reset wipes out all data. This VPN also offers leak protection. Its extensions and apps will block IPv6 and WebRTC leaks.
This provider does not keep logs and has passed two security audits. CyberSec, a powerful ad-blocker that protects against malicious ads and websites, is also available from NordVPN.
NordVPN offers lightning fast speeds, largely due to its NordLynx protocol that is built around WireGuard technology. AV-TEST research also found that NordVPN is the fastest VPN available.
NordVPN provides excellent streaming. It offers excellent streaming, has great speeds and unblocks many sites. There are 5,400+ servers across 59 countries. This is a great option for torrenting. It supports P2P traffic and allows fast downloads. You can use NordLynx as well as IKEv2/IPSec or OpenVPN. This Iran VPN can be downloaded for iOS, Android and Windows. It also works with MacOS Linux, Chrome, Firefox, and Linux.
NordVPN offers 24/7 support via email and live chat. You can also get a 30-day money back guarantee and long-term, affordable plans.
- 5200+ Global Servers in 59+ Countries
- CyberSec malware protection and ad blocking
- Next-generation encryption using double VPN servers
- VPN traffic is obscured by obfuscation technology
- Strict no-logs policy
- Uses Netflix for streaming
- P2P support is lightning fast
- 30-day money-back guarantee
2. PrivateVPN – Great for torrenting
PrivateVPN support representatives confirmed that their service is available in Iran. PrivateVPN has only 200+ servers across 63 countries. However, all the servers can be obfuscated using PrivateVPN’s Stealth protocol.
PrivateVPN is also great for P2P. All 200+ servers allow torrent downloads. Port forwarding is also available which can help you achieve faster speeds. PrivateVPN also offers port forwarding which can help you get faster speeds sometimes.
PrivateVPN offers very high security. PrivateVPN has very good security.
It is a great streaming VPN as it allows you to unblock most streaming sites. OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec and L2TP/IPSec protocols can be used. PPTP can also be added to the Stealth protocol. PrivateVPN provides an Iran VPN for Windows 10, macOS and Linux as well as iOS, Android, and Linux.
PrivateVPN offers excellent 24/7 support via email and live chat. PrivateVPN’s pricing is very attractive. You can pay with crypto and get a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Server locations in more than 60 countries
- Zero data logging policy
- 2048-bit encryption using AES-256
- Unlimited bandwidth and high speeds
- Supports anonymous torrenting/P2P friendly
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Allows port forwarding
3. Surfshark – Unlimited Parallel Connections
Surfshark is very effective in Iran, which has restrictive internet laws. This feature, NoBorders, makes Surfshark work well. Surfshark triggers NoBorders when it detects network restrictions such as firewalls blocking popular websites.
Surfshark also allows unlimited parallel connections to one account. It can be used on any device you like. You can share your account with friends to save money.
Surfshark offers obfuscation. It is automatically used when you use OpenVPN. Surfshark supports obfuscation of 3,200+ servers across 65 countries.
Surfshark offers a backup plan in case you are unable to connect via OpenVPN, WireGuard or IKEv2/IPSec. This is another method to hide your VPN traffic.
Surfshark also features a no-logs policy and powerful encryption. It also has RAM-only servers, an anti-adblocker, and a kill switch. It protects against DNS and WebRTC leaks. Unfortunately, Surfshark doesn’t block IPv6 traffic. To avoid IPv6 traffic leaks, Surfshark must be disabled manually.
Surfshark boasts 80+ torrenting servers for P2P. It is great for streaming because it can unblock all blocked sites and has high speeds. Surfhsark is compatible with Windows, Linux and macOS as well as iOS, Android, and Android. You can also use it to access Iran VPN extensions on Chrome and Firefox.
This provider is the most affordable on the market. It accepts cryptocurrency payments and offers a 30-day refund. Additionally, you can access 24/7 live chat as well as email support.
- More than 3200+ global servers located in 60+ countries
- CleanWeb Ad-Blocking feature
- OpenVPN offers strong encryption and security
- Multi-hop VPN, Whitelister and Kill Switch
- No-logs policy
- Uses Netflix for streaming
- Amazing speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
4. ExpressVPN – Fast Speeds & Great Obfuscation
ExpressVPN is a good choice for Iran. It offers obfuscation of all its servers, and bypasses government censorship. Our tests have shown that the Lightway protocol can be used to unblock blocked sites. ExpressVPN designed this protocol to be quick.
ExpressVPN is also very secure. This VPN offers bank-grade encryption and RAM-only servers. You also get complete protection against IPv6 and WebRTC leaks.
ExpressVPN is fast and excellent for streaming. It has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, and allows P2P traffic. This VPN also works with all torrent clients. Lightway and the Automatic protocols are not available. OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec and L2TP/IPSec are also available. ExpressVPN provides a VPN to Iran for PC, macOS Linux, iOS Android, Chrome Firefox, Firefox, and Edge.
ExpressVPN offers 24/7 customer support via email and live chat. Although it is more expensive than other VPNs in the long-term, it is still a good choice. It accepts cryptocurrency payments, and provides a 30-day no-questions-asked refund.
- 160+ Locations and 3000+ Servers
- Strict No-Log policy
- Unlimited streaming (Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer)
- Strong military-grade AES256-bit key encryption
- Split tunneling, Kill Switch and RAM-disk Servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Support for Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Reliable connections and fast speeds
5. VyprVPN has its own obsfuscation protocol
VyprVPN overcomes censorship using a protocol called Chameleon. This combination of OpenVPN and obfuscation allows you to bypass VPN blocks and avoid detection. You can use Chameleon and WireGuard as well as IKEv2/IPSec and L2TP/IPSec.
This provider provides great security. Strong end-to-end encryption is included, as well as a policy that does not log any information (audit verified) and a kill switch. VyprVPN protects against DNS leaks by using its encrypted VyprDNS servers. It also stops WebRTC leaks. You will need to disable IPv6 manually on your device.
VyprVPN allows torrenting from all of its servers, making it a great P2P VPN. It boasts 700+ servers in over 70 countries. This is quite impressive. It can also unblock streaming sites and provides decent speeds. VyprVPN’s Iran VPN can be downloaded for Windows, macOS Android, and iOS.
VyprVPN offers excellent 24/7 support via email and live chat, as well as a 30-day money back guarantee. VyprVPN’s pricing is very affordable, however, it is a shame that they don’t accept cryptocurrency payments.
- Audited No-Log VPN
- High-Speed Streaming
- Chameleon technology conceals VPN traffic and protects against DPI
- High-End encryption/ NAT Firewall
- Support for OpenVPN, IKEv2, L2TP/IPsec and PPTP protocols
- All platforms supported: Win, Mac, iOS and Android
- 24/7 customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
How to use a VPN in Iran
- Register for a VPN that works with Iran We recommend NordVPN.
- Install the VPN provider’s application.
- To connect to a VPN server, use the app. You can choose a location that has the content you wish to unblock.
- If necessary, enable obfuscation. It is a good idea to enable it so your ISP doesn’t know that you are using a VPN.
- Enjoy an Internet without censorship or surveillance
This section will answer common questions about Iran VPN services. You can leave more questions in the comments.
Is it illegal to use a VPN in Iran?
It is difficult to know. There are many online articles that claim VPNs are illegal in China, but don’t offer any source information. This article, from 2013, is the only source we could locate. The only reason VPNs have been called illegal is that they are referred to by the authorities. They don’t claim that VPNs are illegal. However, they have blocked VPNs that weren’t registered in Iran.
It seems that many Iranians use VPNs to circumvent censorship. This Quora question was also answered by a person from Tehran. They stated that VPNs were illegal, but they have not been charged with any criminal offenses.
VPNs may be illegal in some countries, but they are not likely to get you in trouble. To keep your VPN account safe, enable obfuscation. This will ensure that your ISP cannot see you using it.
Does Iran Force a VPN Block?
Iran blocks VPNs regularly. It uses DPI to close ports used by VPN protocols and block known IP addresses of VPN servers.
We don’t know how government can access VPN provider’s IP addresses. Perhaps they have a cyber-police division that registers for popular VPNs and then collects their IPs. They might also use geo-location services to gain access to proxy IP databases and VPNs.
However, some VPNs are able to bypass these blocks – such as the ones discussed in this article. They accomplish this by:
- To hide VPN traffic and avoid detection by DPI, you can use obfuscation.
- The 443 port is the same as HTTPS. Because almost all Internet traffic passes through that port, it is unlikely that the government will block it.
- To avoid being blacklisted, they must keep their IPs up to date.
Which Websites are Censored In Iran?
Because it would be too long, it is difficult to compile a complete list. According to this article, about 35% of the most visited sites in the world are blocked in Iran.
We discovered that many of these sites are blocked in Iran after reading numerous articles, Reddit and Quora threads.
- Sites that provide Western news
- Porn sites
Why do people use Iran VPNs?
They use VPNs to access geo-locked websites like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
VPNs are also used by people to protect their Internet traffic and hide their browsing habits from the government.
A Free VPN for Iran?
Yes, Iran VPNs can be downloaded for free on PC, macOS and Android. We don’t recommend this.
There are no additional perks, and it is free. VPNs that are free of charge are not safe to use. They could log your data and expose to malware. You might be bombarded with advertisements and get very slow speeds. Free VPNs have monthly bandwidth caps that make it difficult to unblock content.
Free VPNs can be slow and have unreliable support. You won’t get the same 24/7 support you receive with paid VPNs.
VPNs can bypass Internet blackouts
They can’t. This misconception is common. A blackout on the Internet is when the government blocks access to the Internet throughout the country. During protests, the Iranian government does this quite often.
Online access is essential for a VPN to function. It is impossible for it to restore your Internet. Your traffic passes first through the network of your ISP when you connect to a VPN server.
You – ISP Network – VPN Server – Internet
You can’t access the VPN if your ISP has shut down your Internet service.
Is the Iranian Government Using VPNs to Transfer Logs?
No. In general, no. If the VPN provider is located in Iran, the government can do so. The Iranian authorities would have legal jurisdiction over the company in that situation. All of the VPNs that we have listed are located in privacy-friendly nations.
- NordVPN – Panama
- PrivateVPN Sweden
- ExpressVPN The British Virgin Islands
- Surfshark The British Virgin Islands
- VyprVPN – Switzerland
If the VPN is physically located in Iran, the Iranian government can force the provider to turn over logs. The authorities could seize VPN servers located in Iran if they are physically present.
We recommend that you do not use a VPN with a physical Iran VPN server to ensure your privacy.
How can you speed up Iran VPNs?
VPNs can slow down Internet speeds. This is unfortunate since Iran does not have fast Internet. If you experience slowdowns, here are some things you can do:
- Instead of OpenVPN, use fast protocols such as WireGuard and IKEv2/IPSec.
- OpenVPN is better than UDP.
- Connect to servers in the vicinity such as India, Turkey or Georgia.
- Instead of using WiFi, use wired connections
- You can turn off any web-connected apps that you aren’t using.