If you’re planning a trip to China, you’re surely aware that many popular websites and programmes, such as Google Search, Gmail, Youtube, Facebook, and WhatsApp, are restricted. You will need a VPN to enjoy unlimited access to the internet. However, a VPN can be used in China. What VPN is still available in China in 2021?
These VPNs are the best for China.
- NordVPN – the best china VPN choice
- PrivateVPN – robust and easy-to-use
- ExpressVPN – VPN that works in China
- VyprVPN – simple but powerful VPN for China
- PureVPN – great alternative choice
You can use a VPN to access China. However, there could be legal issues. The Chinese government blocks many services in order to censor the internet. Therefore, VPNs are not allowed in China. Only a handful of VPNs work correctly. The technology can be used, however. Not the way you think.
Are VPNs legal in China
It is important to know the legal status and how it can be used in China. VPN is a technology.It isn’t illegal. This tech is used by many businesses to connect to their office remotely and to protect their data from any third party. Therefore, such site-tosite connections are permitted.
Not all VPNs are legal to use for businesses – only the government-approved ones are permitted, but this VPN crackdown1Privacy concerns were raised by the disclosure of trading secrets and company documents. At risk of being spied upon.
What about a VPN that you can use for your personal use?
It is possible to use a consumer-based VPN for websites and apps that are not blocked by the Great Chinese Firewall.Not illegalIt is a gray area. In 2017 Bloomberg reported2China’s government demanded that major telecommunications companies block consumer-focused foreign Virtual Private Networks.
They also said that foreign apps and services must not be in violation of the regulations. Must be removedThe Apple and Google App Stores and websites that offer such services to consumers Block must be doneGreenVPN, one of the largest VPN services in China, was forced to close down its operations.
Because the Chinese government wants to restrict information access and control internet usage, It is against the law.
- Selling VPNs
- VPNs can be used
Although consumer-based VPNs have been blocked and their use is grey, the end result of using them is up to you.The consequences are dependent on this.
What punishment is there for using VPNs in China?
There wereA few examples of punishing behaviorThat was the case with VPNs.
- A man was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment and 14,000 Yuan ($30 USD) for operating a VPN in China, which was against the law.
- One man was also jailed for nine months for selling VPNs to people who wanted access to restricted content.
What if you don’t sell or operate any VPNs?
Although there is a slight risk of being arrested for using VPNs in China, the steps taken to mitigate this risk are not very clear. Here are some examples. what can you expect if you’re caught using one:
- If your ISP discovers that you use a VPN, for exampleYour entire cell service could be cut off and your phone may stop working immediately, which is the regulation in China’s Xinjiang region.
- Another reason someone was arrested for VPN use was that police officers searched all the apps on their phones. All installed VPNs and other messaging apps must be deleted kype and WhatsApp are two examples.
- Another person reported that a Chinese citizen was being arrested FinedAs a warning, VPN users who connect to restricted sites will be subject to a fine of 1000 Yuan (140 US dollars).
- If you’re spreading anti-government content taken from restricted sources and post it on Chinese websites – you’re at a big You could be imprisoned.
China has been tightening its regulations on VPN use in recent years to protect citizens from outside information. However, Foreigners and expats are not subject to harsh penalties or fines.Only a handful of cases have been reported. VPNs are still being used by many to access Youtube or Gmail. However, active blocking can make VPNs less reliable.
Which VPNs work in China
There are many VPNs available, but only a handful that work in China. It is difficult to bypass the Great Firewall because of the active blocking by sophisticated algorithms that continuously interrupt the service. There are many VPN providers that offer different speeds, but very few stand out.
With its obfuscation function, this is one of the best-rounded VPN providers available. It claims to work in China. Redditors attempted to use this service in China, and many were successful in connecting with these obfuscated server and unblocking restricted content.
The response on speeds in China was inconsistent, as it was with many VPNs — although some customers were able to receive good speeds while connected to Japan or Singapore servers, others experienced a fully throttled and unusable internet connection.
NordVPN is a well-known and respected VPN service with a CyberSec feature that protects against malware and allows you to block advertisements and trackers. It offers great security features, including next-generation encryption and killswitch.
This service can also unblock Netflix and other streaming services.
It follows a strict no-log policy. There are 5600+ servers across 59+ countries. DoubleVPN is an additional security feature.
NordVPN supports up to 6 devices simultaneously and offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all plans.
- 5200+ servers around the world in 59+ countries
- CyberSec malware, ad-blocking protection
- Next-generation encryption with two VPN servers
- VPN traffic can be disguised with obfuscation tech
- Strict no-logs policy
- It works with Netflix and is great for streaming
- Lightning fast with P2P support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PrivateVPN VPN is one of the most trusted VPN services that can unblock content and allow you to access geo-restricted websites. PrivateVPN is a great choice in this situation because it offers a simple interface. Stealth VPN feature.
Stealth VPN allows you bypass VPN blocks or stringent firewalls. It disguises your VPN traffic as regular traffic. Stealth VPN has been proven extremely effective in unblocking restricted regions. Highly reliable in bypassing China’s Great Firewall.
It is a great option. Connection speeds above averageThere are a few features that will ensure your exact location is never revealed. These features includeIPv6 leak prevention, DNS leak defense, and an Application Guard. It also has Advanced Kill SwitchThis automatically disconnects your network if there are any drops in connection.
PrivateVPN has been created Apps for all major OS platformsIt allows you to connect up six devices simultaneously. Even better, it comes with Best-in-class encryption and securityYou will be kept private and secure from prying eyes when you use it in China.
- Server locations in more than 60 countries
- Zero data logging policy
- 2048-bit encryption with AES256
- Unlimited bandwidth and high speeds
- Supports anonym torrenting / P2P friendly
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Allows port forwarding
This VPN provider is a market leader, and has been able bypass internet censorship from China. This service has been praised by Redditors and other reviewers as the best to unblock content from China.
ExpressVPN supports more than 160 locations and 3000+ servers. It also supports multiple protocols like OpenVPN and L2TP that can be used to bypass censorship. It is the best choice because of its strong AES256 bit key encryption, additional IPv6 and WebRTC leak protection features, and an internet kill switch.
This service is the best because it does not require additional settings and has the fastest connections. You can access Facebook, WhatsApp or Gmail from any server you choose.
The service is completely anonymous and has the option to pay with Bitcoin. Its plans all provide a 30-day money-back guarantee and support up to five devices at the same time.
Make sure you have this VPN installed on all of your devices before travelling to China, as the original website will be restricted as well.
- 160+ locations, 3000+ servers
- Strict No-Log policy
- Unlimited streaming (Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer)
- Strong military-grade AES256-bit key encryption
- Split tunneling, Kill Switch and RAM-disk Servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Windows, MacOS OS, iOS, Android, and Linux Support
- High speeds and reliable connections
With its Chameleon technology, this Switzerland-based service can unblock websites. This Chameleon technology is specially designed to bypass Deep Packet Inspection in countries like China, Turkey, and UAE. This service can not only bypass any censorship, but it also hides your VPN traffic, making it less visible.
VyprVPN can be a great choice for travelers to China. Its 700+ servers offer great speeds, even when connecting from restricted countries.
Its security is excellent with AES256 bit encryption and OpenVPN or IKEv2 protocols. This service was one of the first ones to do a public audit and proved that it’s a no-log policy VPN.
This provider allows up to five simultaneous connections. It also offers great plans and a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Audited No-Log VPN
- High-Speed Streaming
- Chameleon technology protects DPI and hides VPN traffic
- High-End Encryption/NAT Firewall
- Support for OpenVPN and IKEv2, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP protocol
- Available on all platforms: Windows, Mac, iOS, Android
- 24/7 customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
PureVPN costs only One of few VPNs with a server in China. Such servers are uncommon in VPNs, as they can be confiscated by the government. This provider is able to connect to China.
It uses the port 443 protocol and is suitable for bypassing the Great Firewall. PureVPN offers great security and encryption, as well as multiprotocol support (OpenVPN/IPSec, L2TP).
Although this VPN service is capable to unblock streaming services such Netflix, it does not have impressive speeds from China.
All PureVPN’s plans are very affordable and have a 31-day money-back guarantee to try it.
- 140+ countries, 2000+ servers
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Blocks geo-restricted content and hides internet traffic
- Protection against IP leakage and Internet Kill Switch
- The cheapest dedicated IP addresses
- Support for Windows, MacOS OS, iOS, Android, and Routers
- Ideal for streaming Netflix, Hulu and BBC
- No-log policy. Audited and strict.
China’s consumer-based VPNs are a gray area. Although they are blocked by the major telecommunication companies you can still use them with caution. Many VPNs are no longer available in China, and it is difficult to maintain their service because of the changing Firewall technology. You should install several VPNs before you travel to China. It would be difficult to get one.