Have you ever wanted to create a second email address that uses your primary Gmail account, but without all the extra numbers and letters? With an alias, you can do just that!
What is an alias in Gmail?
An alias in Gmail is a second email address that you can use to send and receive messages. You can create an alias by adding a “+” sign and a word or phrase after your email address. For example, if your email address is email@example.com, you could create an alias of firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can use an alias to send messages to a group of people without having to reveal your main email address. You can also use an alias to filter messages so that only messages sent to that address are visible in your inbox. This can be useful if you want to keep your personal and professional emails separate.
Creating an alias in Gmail is quick and easy. Simply log into your Gmail account and go to the settings page. From there, you can add an alias by clicking on the “Accounts and Import” tab and then selecting “Add another email address.” Enter the new alias you want to create and click “Next Step.” Gmail will then ask you how you want to send messages from the new address. Choose either “Send through Gmail” or “Send through your SMTP server.” If you choose the latter option, you will need to enter the SMTP server
How to create a Gmail alias?
- You can create a Gmail alias by adding a period to your email address.
For example, if your email address is email@example.com, you can create an alias by adding a period to it, like this: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also add a plus sign to your email address to create an alias.
For example, if your email address is email@example.com, you can create an alias by adding a plus sign to it, like this: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pros and cons of using an alias
- An alias is a way to have multiple email addresses associated with one Gmail account. For example, you could have an alias for your work email and another for your personal email.
- The main advantage of using an alias is that it can help you to keep your inboxes more organized. For example, you can use an alias to filter emails from your work email address into a separate inbox.
- Another advantage of using an alias is that it can help to protect your privacy. For example, if you give out your work email address to people, they will only be able to see your work email address and not your personal email address.
- There are a few disadvantages of using an alias as well. First, if you forget which alias you used for a particular email address, it can be difficult to find the email in your inbox. Second, people who you correspond with via alias will only be able to see the alias and not your real name or Gmail account name.
How to use an alias?
An alias is a way to change your email address while still using the same Gmail account. This can be useful if you want to create a new email address for a specific purpose, such as signing up for newsletters or online services.
To create an alias, log into your Gmail account and click on the settings cog in the top right-hand corner. Then click on “See all settings.” Next, click on the “Accounts and Import” tab. Under “Send mail as,” click on “Add another email address.”
Enter the new email address that you want to use as your alias. You can also choose to give this alias a name. Then click on “Next Step.”
Gmail will now send a verification code to the new email address. Enter this code in the box provided and click on “Verify.”
Once your alias has been verified, you can start using it by selecting it from the “From:” drop-down menu when composing a new email.
Having a Gmail alias can be extremely helpful in managing your email inbox and keeping your messages organized. By creating an alias for 2022, you can easily sort and filter your messages by year, making it easier to find the ones you need.