NordVPN consistently ranks high on “Best VPN for X” lists. We decided to test their torrenting capabilities. We read what Reddit had to say, asked questions, talked to support representatives and tested to see how NordVPN qBittorrent speeds and uTorrent speeds were.
Is NordVPN allowed to torrent?
Yes. NordVPN is the only VPN to boast a large P2P server network. There are currently over 4,000 NordVPN torrenting server.
Is NordVPN good for torrenting?
NordVPN is a torrenting VPN that we have used. Here’s what you get.
- Excellent P2P support NordVPN allows you to torrent on more than 4,000 servers. You can also seed on their P2P servers.
- Speedy downloads — You can get extremely fast speeds due to the large server network (you don’t have to deal with overcrowded servers), and NordLynx (NordVPN’s proprietary protocol built around WireGuard Technology, which makes it really fast). AV-TEST, a research institute, also published research showing NordVPN to be one of the fastest VPNs.
- No logs This service does not keep logs. It doesn’t know what files you downloaded or what sites you visited. NordVPN was subject to two audits in order to verify their claim of no logs.
- Kill switch – NordVPN’s kill switches protect you against traffic leaks. We love that they offer two types of kill switches: one for the system (shuts down web access when the VPN connection drops), and one for the app (stops certain apps from going online if the VPN connection falls).
- High security The service uses strong end-to-end encryption (AES-256) in order to protect your traffic and prevent P2P throttling. All data is also wiped after each reboot because the servers run on RAM only.
- Complete leak protection This VPN is the only one that offers complete leak protection. It blocks DNS leaks and runs its own DNS servers. NordVPN was not tested for any leaks.
- CyberSec is NordVPN’s ad-blocker. It will prevent you from connecting to malicious websites (such as shady torrent trackers).
- Split tunnelling This feature allows you to choose which traffic is encrypted. Split-tunneling allows you to route torrent client traffic only through NordVPN’s servers, allowing for faster speeds.
- Works with many platforms There are apps available for all platforms (Windows, Android and macOS iOS, Linux) and each has a very user-friendly layout.
- Supports multiple torrent client- Provider support representatives confirmed that the service is compatible with all clients (BitTorrent and qBittorrent as well as uTorrent, Vuze and Deluge). .
NordVPN Torrenting Speed Testing
To test how fast the downloads were, we used qBittorrent, uTorrent, a 12.69GB file, the NordLynx protocol and three NordVPN servers in the US and Japan. These are the original download speeds for our Romanian tester: 30-35 MiB/s qBittorrent and 15-20 MB/s uTorrent. It takes them about 10-15 minutes to download a 12.69GB file.
We first used a P2P server located in the US. Although there were some slowdowns, we were happy with the speeds: 13-15 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 4-5 MB/s(uTorrent). On qBittorrent, the average ETA was between 10-20 and 50 minutes.
The speeds were slower when we switched to the UK and Japanese servers. However, they were still acceptable.
- Japan: 6-8 MiB/s (qBittorrent), and 2-3 MB/s/s (uTorrent). Average ETA was 30 minutes for qBittorrent and 1 hour and a quarter for uTorrent.
- The UK has a download speed of 5-7 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 3-4 Mbit/s (uTorrent). Average ETA was between 30-35 and 1 hour and 40 minutes for qBittorrent and uTorrent.
We also tested the server in Romania, which was our test country. NordVPN qBittorrent speeds were faster than expected: 25-30 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 7-9 MB/s [uTorrent].
OpenVPN was also tested on the Romanian server. This protocol is more resource-intensive, so download speeds were slower at 10-11 Mbit/s (qBittorrent), and 1-2 MB/s for uTorrent. Our 12.69GB file took us 20-25 minutes (qBittorrent), and nearly two hours (uTorrent).
Remember: You need lots of seeders (people uploading torrents) to get fast speeds. You won’t be able to download the torrent at high speeds if there aren’t enough seeders. Your downloads won’t start if there aren’t enough seeders. We downloaded large torrents with low seeder-leecher ratios (between 3-4 and 100+ seeders) from the same servers (US. UK. Japan). Our NordVPN uTorrent speeds and qBittorrent speeds are close to zero, we can confirm.
What do people think about NordVPN being used for torrenting on Reddit
To find out what torrent users think of NordVPN, we checked several Reddit threads. It is generally agreed that NordVPN is fast, secure, and reliable. NordVPN was praised by many users for not receiving angry letters from their ISPs.
Is there a downside to torrenting with NordVPN?
Although torrenting and NordVPN go well together there are two things we should be aware of:
1. NordVPN does not offer port forwarding
NordVPN does not allow port forwarding as the provider fears it could expose user data. All ports other than those used by NordVPN or popular services are automatically blocked by the app.
Redditors frequently consider port forwarding a major drawback. It speeds up downloads by connecting to more peers, according to Redditors. Port forwarding with other VPNs was not an improvement in our experience, so we can’t confirm it.
NordVPN indicated that they may add port forwarding support in the future.
2. NordVPN Suffers a Data Breach
This is often cited by people as a sign that NordVPN is not safe for torrenting. Here’s the truth: was only affected by the hacker, and didn’t have any data . This includes user information, NordVPN code, tunnel encryption, and other details. This was also due to the fact that the data center hosting the server was negligent, so it wasn’t NordVPN’s fault. NordVPN was not the only one to be affected. TorGuard, Avast and others were also affected.
NordVPN resolved the problem by cutting all ties with the data centre. Also, they recently began using colocated servers. They ship their servers to the data center. NordVPN employees are the only ones who have full control of them. All NordVPN servers are run in RAM-disk mode. After every reboot, all data is deleted.
NordVPN’s torrenting service is still available, despite the fact that data breaches are a concern. NordVPN continues to be one the most trusted torrenting VPNs available.
NordVPN: How to torrent
- Register for NordVPN
- Install NordVPN’s App.
- Connect to a P2P Server Let NordVPN’s App choose the fastest server and country for you.
- You can download torrents using your favorite client.
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about NordVPN or torrenting. We’re happy to answer any additional questions you may have in the comments.
Does NordVPN work for torrenting with all clients?
You can use any app. BitTorrent, Deluge and uTorrent are supported by NordVPN.
We reached out to NordVPN support representatives for confirmation. Their service is compatible with all clients, they confirmed. They said that qBittorrent is the best. This torrent client was the fastest, so we are happy to endorse their recommendation.
How can you fix NordVPN slow Torrenting?
Redditors have complained about slow NordVPN torrent download speeds. These are some things you can do in order to improve them.
- Find a P2P server near you –NordVPN hosts thousands of torrent servers so it is easy to find one. You can choose one from your country or another country.
- Use NordLynx / IKEv2 – They are much faster than OpenVPN. IKEv2 can only be used on macOS or iOS with NordVPN.
- Try a different torrent client – We found that qBittorrent was faster than uTorrent in our tests. NordVPN support representatives also recommend qBittorrent.
- Split-tunneling Force NordVPN only to encrypt torrent traffic. Faster downloads are possible with less data to encrypt or decrypt.
You can also use a SOCKS5 proxy to bypass the VPN if that fails. NordVPN provides step-by-step instructions that will help you do this. Remember that proxying means your traffic will not be encrypted. It can be throttled if your ISP intercepts it.
Which NordVPN Server Should You Use?
NordVPN’s best server for torrenting will be the closest one to you. This will allow you to download faster speeds as your device will exchange data with the VPN server faster.
NordVPN also offers a server recommendation feature. Select P2P from middle dropdown menu and click Show advanced options. NordVPN will tell you which server you should use. You can filter the results to change the country or protocol.
Can you torrent on NordVPN’s non-P2P servers?
NordVPN will route your traffic to a P2P (Canada or the Netherlands) server. This will prevent you from being disconnected (it might expose your IP), so your speed will be slower. Your data is effectively going through two VPN servers.
This is what we experienced and confirmed. We were able to download at speeds of around 15-20 Mbit/s when we used the NordVPN P2P server located in Belgium. However, speeds dropped to 4-5 Mbit/s when we used a non P2P server in Belgium.
Is NordVPN Safe to Torrent?
Yes. NordVPN is one of the most secure torrenting VPNs available. Here are the reasons:
- VPN uses AES256 encryption to protect your data.
- NordVPN does not store logs, and they have been audited twice in order to confirm that.
- NordVPN uses only servers with RAM memory (every reboot wipes out all data).
- NordVPN also offers leak protection (WebRTC DNS, IPv6, and IPv6) as well as a highly capable kill switch that works at both the system and application level.
Can you Bind Torrent Clients To NordVPN?
Yes, you can. But it’s not necessary. NordVPN offers an excellent kill switch which does one of these two things:
- If the VPN is down, it will shut down Internet access.
- If the VPN is down, an app can’t go online.
This flexibility is very appreciated by us. NordVPN can be configured to prevent torrent clients from connecting if their VPN connection drops.
- 5200+ Global Servers in 59+ Countries
- CyberSec malware protection and ad blocking
- Next-generation encryption using double VPN servers
- VPN traffic is obscured by obfuscation technology
- Strict no-logs policy
- Uses Netflix for streaming
- Lightning fast with P2P Support
- 30-day money-back guarantee.