This article help you know Phishing Attacks Are Part Of What Percentage Of Cyberattacks.
Phishing is a form of cybercrime where bad actors try to convince you to click a link, usually sent by email or text message. This will download malware on your device and/or collect sensitive personal information. The criminals will try to steal your identity or money. It is important to recognize and understand these tactics.
What percentage of cyberattacks are phishing attacks?
You may be asking: What percentage of cyberattacks are phishing attacks? These statistics will help you understand.
The majority of cyberattacks begin with a phishing mail
Statistics on Phishing show that this is a very common type of cyberattack.
- According to a Verizon study, 94% of malware attacks are caused by emails that were sent to victims.
- In 2020, 96% social action cyberattacks were initiated via phishing emails.
- Trend Micro, a cybersecurity company, found that 90% of attacks could be coming from spear phishing. This personalized scam allows thieves to spoof an email address and phone number to make it appear they are from a company or organization they trust.
- According to Verizon data, 22% of data breaches involve Phishing, as per data from 2020.
- According to NTT Security’s 2018 report, 59% of phishing attacks in North America and South America are financial-related.
- According to Symantec data, 48% of malicious attachments in email are Microsoft Office files.
- The FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center has recorded over 240,000 victims of phishing attacks and related attacks in the United States. In 2020, they lost more than $54 Million to scammers.
- 15% of all frauds reported to FTC 2020 started with an email. Victims lost an average $400.
- Since the COVID-19 pandemic started in March 2020, Phishing has increased exponentially. Trend Micro reported that 16.7 million high-risk emails were intercepted by Trend Micro last year.
- The FBI warned consumers about an increase in fraud related COVID-19 vaccines. This includes phishing emails that appear from insurance companies and medical providers.
- NTT Security reports that phishing schemes related to pandemics target everything, from online shopping sites to healthcare.
The exact percentage of cyberattacks that start with phishing emails varies depending upon how data is collected and analyzed. Experts generally agree that email accounts account for the vast majority (and phishing is a common form of cybercrime against average consumers).
Important Tips to Recognize Phishing
Greg Kelley is a cybersecurity expert from Vestige Digital Investigations. He said that email is a popular medium for phishing scams because it’s inexpensive. Scammers have the ability to reach large numbers of people with minimal effort and investment. A criminal may find it easier to convince you via email than over the phone because there is no voice interaction.
Phishing scams can be convincing, especially if emails are spoofed to appear legitimate. You may be able to identify the person trying to contact your by using tools like the reverse Email Search.