VPNs are a great online tool. VPNs are a great online tool that provides security and helps you to bypass geo-blocks. Most VPNs are compatible with iOS, Android, Windows and macOS. You can also use a Chrome VPN Extension.
Yes, there are extensions for Chrome available from some VPNs. To find the best experience, we tested top providers. Continue reading to learn more.
Need to hurry?
These are the top Chrome VPN extensions:
- NordVPN – Thebest Chrome VPN
- Surfshark – Unlimited connections
- ExpressVPN – excellent security
- Private Internet Access – High-end Privacy
- Hotspot Shield – fast and free
- CyberGhostVPN– decent, free Chrome VPN
How To Choose the Best Chrome VPN Extension
Here are the things we look for
- Streaming support – VPN extensions should be able unblock top websites like Netflix, Amazon Prime and BBC iPlayer.
- Speedy speeds – any slowdowns should be minimal. VPNs should offer fast speeds for streaming, browsing, and downloading.
- High security VPNs should protect your data with WebRTC leak prevention and ad blocking. It’s a bonus if your VPN browser extension encrypts traffic and offers other security features.
- Strong privacy – Any Chrome VPN extension that you use should have 0 logs. A VPN provider should adhere to a strict no logs policy. It should be audited.
- Easy to use The VPN extensions should be simple to install and easy-to-use. It is also helpful if the settings and features are easy to define.
- Server network We recommend VPN extensions that allow you to access large server networks. This way you won’t have to deal overcrowded servers which can be slower. Servers in more countries allow you to access more content.
- Customer Support The best VPN extensions for Chrome include responsive email support and 24/7 live chat.
The Top 6 Chrome VPN Extensions
To find the best Chrome browser extensions, we tested and reviewed 30+ VPNs. VPNs that don’t offer VPN extensions for Google Chrome are often not worth the cost or don’t provide a good value. These are our top picks.
1. NordVPN – Best VPN Extension for Chrome
NordVPN is the best Chrome VPN extension. It makes it easy to disable WebRTC to avoid annoying IP leaks. CyberSec is a powerful ad-blocker that blocks malicious websites and gets rid of annoying ads. NordVPN’s strict no-logs policy has been independently audited twice.
This is not all. This VPN allows you to access RAM-only servers as well as a colocated network. This basically means that every reboot erases all server data, as everything is written to RAM memory. Only NordVPN staff has direct access to certain servers. Additionally,
This VPN also unblocks Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. It also works with smaller sites such as VRV, Crunchyroll and Pandora Radio. NordVPN has 5,100+ servers across 60 countries. This means that you can unblock as many movies and shows as you like.
This is also one of the fastest VPN Chrome extensions. It was able to load websites instantly and didn’t buffer HD videos during our tests.
We love the user-friendliness of NordVPN’s Chrome VPN extension. You can also connect to a server from it.
The provider offers a 24/7 live chat and affordable plans. There is also a 30-day guarantee of your money back.
- 5200+ Global Servers in 59+ Countries
- CyberSec malware protection and ad blocking
- Next-generation encryption using double VPN servers
- VPN traffic is obscured by obfuscation technology
- Strict no-logs policy
- Uses Netflix for streaming
- P2P support is lightning fast
- 30-day money-back guarantee
2. Surfshark Chrome VPN Extensions For Unlimited Devices
Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections, which is rare among VPNs. This means that you can access the service from as many browsers and devices as you like. To save money, you can share your subscription with friends and family.
This browser extension offers excellent security. This browser extension uses HTTPS to protect your data and blocks WebRTC leaks automatically. CleanWeb is a powerful ad blocking tool that can remove ads from even the most ad-heavy websites. It also allows you to disable cookie popup consents. Multihop servers are also available. They hide your true IP address behind 2 servers, making it more secure.
We also love the fact that Surfshark’s Chrome VPN extension includes split-tunneling. You can choose which websites use VPN and which use your local network. It was possible to block Netflix TV shows and exclude our bank websites from the VPN connection.
The VPN provider boasts more than 3,200 servers in 60+ countries. This ensures that you will always get fast speeds. It unblocks large and small streaming websites. We like the ease of use of extensions – you can even choose dark mode to be more comfortable for your eyes.
Surfshark offers live chat 24/7, cheap plans and a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
- More than 3200+ global servers located in 60+ countries
- CleanWeb Ad-blocking feature
- OpenVPN offers strong encryption and security
- Whitelister, Multihop VPN and Kill Switch
- No-logs policy
- Uses Netflix for streaming
- Amazing speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
3. ExpressVPN – Google Chrome VPN with Outstanding Security
ExpressVPN’s Chrome Extension is quite unique. You can remotely control your VPN app from your browser. It’s necessary to first install the VPN app, but it’s well worth it.
Remote control of the VPN app allows you to access end-to-end VPN encryption that properly protects your traffic. You don’t only encrypt your browser traffic, but you can encrypt all traffic on your device. You also have perfect forward secrecy, which means it constantly changes your encryption keys to prevent cyber threats.
ExpressVPN has additional security features. ExpressVPN has an audited policy that does not log any activity, RAM-only servers and WebRTC leak protection. Chrome extensions can prevent HTML5 geolocation leaks, and force all websites to use HTTPS.
This Chrome VPN extension does not use VPN encryption. However, it won’t slow down your speed. This service was very fast in our tests. 4K videos loaded immediately and didn’t buffer. ExpressVPN also unblocks popular websites like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+.
The VPN extension for Chrome is very easy to use. We love that all settings and options are explained clearly.
ExpressVPN offers a 24/7 live chat and affordable plans. You can also get a 30-day, no-questions-asked refund.
- 160+ Locations and 3000+ Servers
- Strict No-Log policy
- Unlimited streaming (Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer)
- Strong military-grade AES256-bit key encryption
- Split tunneling, Kill Switch and RAM-disk Servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Support for Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Reliable connections and fast speeds
4. Private Internet Access – The Best VPN Extension for Privacy
Private Internet Access is a Chrome VPN extension that provides privacy. This policy has been proven to be effective in court many times. PIA’s Chrome extension can be inspected by anyone to ensure it is safe to use.
This service provides security and privacy. PIA MACE, an ad-blocker that blocks ads, is also included. This is extremely effective. It blocked ads from ad-heavy sites and prevented us accessing malicious websites in our tests.
PIA works well with streaming sites such as Netflix and Disney+. It also offers extremely fast speeds. Websites loaded immediately for us, and large files were downloaded quickly – even from distant servers.
The Chrome VPN extension is very user-friendly. It has a fast-connect feature, but it is also very easy to manually connect to servers. This is mainly because PIA displays server pings so that you can see which servers offer the fastest speeds.
This VPN offers excellent customer support, low plans, and a 30-day guarantee of your satisfaction.
- Block trackers and ads
- You can use it with up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- 3200+ Servers in 29 countries
- No Request or Traffic logs
- 7-day money-back guarantee
5. Hotspot Shield is a free Chrome VPN that offers very fast speeds and strong privacy
Hotspot Shield offers a Chrome extension that encrypts and gives you access to US servers. It also has an extremely fast speed thanks to the Hydra Catapult protocol. The service is also free of ads and does not log any data.
The best part about the browser extension is its advanced security features, which protect your privacy. The Sword feature, for example, feeds web trackers false information about you. Advertisers can’t create an accurate advertising profile based upon your preferences. Hotspot Shield blocks malicious websites, cookies, trackers and ads as well as WebRTC.
There is a 500MB data limit per day on the free plan. However, if you upgrade to a paid plan, unlimited data is available. You also have access to multiple servers located in seven other countries.
We also like the user-friendliness of this Google Chrome VPN. It is easy to connect and the privacy settings are explained clearly.
Hotspot Shield offers 24/7 live chat to paid customers, flexible plans and a generous 45 day money-back guarantee.
- More than 3200 servers in over 70+ countries, including China
- Unlimited data for unlimited streaming and browsing
- Security and encryption of military-grade quality
- Connect 5 devices under 1 account
- Tech support available 24/7/365 by a dedicated team
- Your ISP and all other trackers are completely anonymous
- No hassle 45-day money-back guarantee
6. CyberGhost VPN – A good free VPN extension for Chrome
CyberGhost VPN is an excellent choice if you need a VPN connection within your browser. This is a VPN and not a proxy, unlike many browser extensions. When you connect to a server, you will get strong end-to-end encryption. This VPN provider has strict no-logs policies.
We also like the fact that CyberGhost VPN offers unlimited data. Many free VPNs have a limit on how much data you can use per day or month. You can only use 500 MB to 2 GB data. This service allows you to download unlimited files and binge as many videos as you like.
This Chrome extension gives you access only to servers in four countries: the US and the Netherlands. We still had very fast speeds despite this. On average, there was a 20-25% slowdown in our tests. Websites loaded quickly, even those with a lot of ads. We were able to download files up to 2-3GB in just 10-15 minutes. That’s really impressive.
The Chrome extension of CyberGhost VPN is ideal for those new to VPNs. It is extremely simple – you only have to use the quick-connect function and list of servers. You won’t feel overwhelmed by too many settings.
- More than 90 countries and more than 6000 servers
- Access to NoSpy servers
- No-logs policy
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Unblock streaming services
- Option for dedicated IP
- Strong AES 256-bit encryption
- IKEv2, WireGuard, OpenVPN, IPSec protocol support
Google Chrome VPN FAQs
These are the top questions that people asked about Chrome VPNs and VPN extensions.
Does Google Chrome have a built-in VPN?
Google Chrome does not have a built in VPN. Don’t install any extension that claims to provide a Chrome VPN. It is very likely a fraud.
There are many VPNs available that allow you to use Chrome’s VPN extension. NordVPN is our top choice because it’s fast, secure, and great for streaming.
What is the best free VPN extension for Chrome?
Both Hotspot Shield VPN and CyberGhost VPN offer great free Chrome extensions. Both have high speeds, great security, and speedy speeds.
Use only free Chrome VPNs that are provided by reputable VPN providers. Do not just click on the “free VPN” link and download the first extension that you find. Many free VPNs log user data and sell it. They also have slow speeds and are often buggy.
Add a VPN Extension To Chrome
It is easy to do this – simply follow these steps.
- Register for the VPN. We recommend that you sign up for NordVPN.
- Follow the VPN download link to get the Chrome extension.
- The extension can be added to your Chrome browser.
- Connect to the server by opening the extension. Now you can browse the internet securely.
Does Google Chrome VPN Extensions Include Encryption?
Yes. However, only a few Chrome VPNs provide encryption. Most Chrome VPN extensions do not use encryption as they are proxies and not VPNs. Although a proxy can be set up to provide encryption, it is the responsibility of the VPN provider.
Hotspot Shield and CyberGhost VPN offer encryption via extensions. ExpressVPN also offers encryption via their extensions, but you can control it remotely.
Chrome VPN extensions without encryption are still safe to use. They compensate for this by providing additional security features. They can also block WebRTC to stop IP leaks, block malicious sites and ads, and provide no-logs policies.
Why do you need a Google Chrome VPN?
The majority of people use Chrome VPNs to bypass geo-restricted and censored content. It hides your IP address so that you can bypass any restrictions. We use Chrome VPN extensions regularly to unblock our favorite Netflix TV shows.
To protect your privacy, you can use a Chrome VPN. Many extensions include ad-blockers to get rid of trackers and ads. They protect you against phishing by blocking connections to malicious websites.
Chrome VPNs are the same as Incognito Mode?
They are completely different. Inognito mode hides browsing history from anyone with access to your device. Chrome VPNs, on the other hand, hide your IP address to protect you against trackers and malicious websites.
The bottom line is that Chrome VPNs and incognito mode protect your privacy in different ways.
Chrome VPN Extensions are Better Than VPN Apps?
No, not really. Most extensions don’t have the advanced features that VPN apps offer. These include split-tunneling and double VPNs as well as obfuscation and other VPN protocols. Chrome extensions are mainly used to hide your IP address and allow you to unblock geo-restricted material.
Also, most VPN Chrome extensions don’t use encryption. Even if they do use encryption, they only encrypt your browser traffic. Traffic from other apps like your torrent client won’t be protected.
ExpressVPN is unique in that it allows you to have a similar experience through its extension. It allows you to remotely control the VPN app. When you connect to a server you don’t just encrypt browser traffic. Encrypt all traffic coming from your device’s online apps.