You can choose to remain anonymous online for any reason, regardless of your motivation. These two options are the most popular among people who want to protect their digital identity.
Which one is best for you?
Tor is the best choice for sensitive information transmissions. VPNs are often more efficient for everyday use because they strike a great balance between speed and privacy.
But, everyone’s online needs are different. Let us help you choose the best one. We’ll be looking at:
- What is Tor and what is a VPN?
- What is the difference between Tor and a VPN?
- What are the advantages of using Tor?
- What are some of the benefits of using VPN?
- Why do you need Tor?
- Why do you need a SSL VPN
Tor vs. VPN
Tor and VPN can be used to keep your identity anonymous online. Both have similar functions, but they serve different purposes.
What’s the Tor browser?
Tor browser is an open-source, free project that allows you to surf anonymously on the internet. The acronym “The onion router” is the origin of the title. Although the name may sound silly, the idea behind the Tor browser network is genius. It is made up of layers upon layers independent nodes that are managed by Tor users.
What’s a VPN service?
VPNs help you to protect your online privacy and create secure connections to all servers or networks over the internet. VPNs are used widely to bypass geolocation restrictions and prevent traffic sniffing. They also ensure secure interaction with banking and shopping apps.
What is the difference between Tor & a VPN?
What is the key difference between Tor VPN and Tor VPN? There are many VPN tools and service providers, but only one Tor browser network.
Tor uses a layer of decentralized nodes to securely transfer data. VPN software connects with a central server to create a VPN tunnel.
The specifics of their usage is another common distinction.
Tor is best if your online activity involves the transmission or use of highly sensitive information, or could get you into trouble in countries that have strict censorship laws. This is because VPN providers still need to be registered, pay taxes and adhere to legislation.
A VPN is the best choice if you want to protect your privacy and access your data securely while traveling or at home.
These two technologies can be used simultaneously to ensure the highest privacy. You can then access Tor via a VPN connection to enjoy the best of both. This is only recommended if you’re a technically advanced user of the internet.
The Benefits of Tor
- Hides your online activity. When you close your browser, all of your browsing history and cookies will be automatically deleted.
- Anti-spy protection. Tor blocks others from tracking your visits to websites.
- Anonymous identity. Tor attempts to make all users look-alike in order to prevent anyone from identifying you based on the characteristics of your browser and devices.
- Multi-layer encryption. Your traffic is encrypted multiple times in Tor to ensure anonymity.
- Access is free. Tor allows you to access websites that are blocked by your network.
The benefits of a VPN
- An anonymous web surfing is possible with a VPN . This hides your IP address so that you can surf anonymously.
- VPNs remove regional restrictions. VPN servers can be found all over the world, so it is possible to bypass regional restrictions and access any website that you want to view movies or listen to music.
- VPNs provide a fast connection. It’s faster than connecting through multiple Tor nodes to connect to a VPN server.
- A VPN surpasses censorship. By connecting users to servers located outside of the country’s jurisdictions or Internet Service Providers, (ISP), a VPN helps you avoid restrictions on censorship.
- VPNs protect your connection from public WI-FI hotspots.
When is Tor best used?
In the following situations, Tor is more efficient than a VPN:
- Geo-restricted content can be dangerous so you want to keep your information safe. Tor can be used to protect your privacy while accessing content that is restricted in your country. This includes geographic limitations, such as accessing US-only content via Australia or Europe, or avoiding censorship from countries like Iran and China.
- You are looking for the dark web. Tor’s Hidden Services is also your gateway to this dark web. It is comprised of websites that can only be accessed through Tor connections and are not accessible via search engines such as Google. It is often associated with criminals, which is why it is illegal in certain countries.
- You should avoid browser trackers. Tor browser is the best choice if you want to surf the web and leave no digital footprint. You can surf the internet without leaving any identifiable signs as it is almost impossible to trace the original user’s connection.
When is a VPN recommended?
- Unblock content that is restricted to your region. If you live in a country that restricts access to streaming or programs, a VPN can help you bypass these restrictions.
- You want your internet connection to remain private. A VPN employs the most advanced encryption technology to protect your data. Good VPNs ensure that websites processing your data do not see the source of your data, thus giving you maximum anonymity.
- Public Wi-Fi should be secured. A VPN can be used to protect your passwords and sensitive information against hackers.
Is Tor more secure than a VPN?
It all depends on what you do online. This is the best way for you to avoid censorship, ensure security, but it only allows you to view limited video and browse.
Tor is secure without a VPN?
Yes, Tor can be used for web surfing normally without a VPN.
Is Tor illegal?
Although Tor browser usage is not prohibited in most Western countries it is discouraged by the majority of tech industry players. The Tor browser is banned in certain authoritarian countries like China and Iran.
Is it dangerous to use a VPN?
Your online security could be at risk if you use a free VPN service. Your traffic is protected from being tracked by your ISP when you use a VPN server. However, the VPN provider can spy on your traffic. VPN providers that offer free services may not protect your privacy and may instead share it with third parties.
Do you need Tor to use a VPN?
Although it is possible to use both tools simultaneously, we don’t recommend it. If you’re an experienced user and know how to set up Tor and VPN, this is an exception.
The bottom line
As governments, hackers, as well as our favorite search engine Google, invent new ways to track and break our anonymity, privacy and security is becoming more important.
Although Tor and VPN services work together to hide your identity, the latter is more convenient when used properly. Tor, a free browser, encrypts your online activity but is slow and does not allow access to all websites. This can lead to legal problems.