This article will show you how to figure out what kind of laptop you have and what kind of hardware it has.
There are a variety of reasons why you might wish to double-check your laptop’s model and specifications. It’s possible that you’re comparing an older laptop to a newer model. You might also be comparing your laptop’s specs to a videogame’s requirements to see whether it can run it. Whatever the cause, locating a laptop’s model number is pretty simple.
This tutorial will show you how to locate your model number easily.
Locate Your Laptop’s Model No.
You can use the model number to determine your laptop’s specifications and find troubleshooting information.
It is usually easy to find the model number in most cases.
- Flip your laptop upside-down. You’ll find a small logo and text somewhere on the bottom side of your computer. This is where you will find your laptop’s model. Sometimes the model and brand are listed together, such as “Acer Aspire 5570”, while other models might list the model number and brand separately.
This information is not always on all laptops. Sometimes you will need to take off the bottom panel in order to verify the model number. It is usually easier to find your model number in the Control Panel.
- In the search bar at your screen’s bottom, type “control panel”. Click on the Control Panel app in the search results.
- Click on “System and Security”. It should be the first choice.
- Click the “System” link.
- This will display information about your computer. This will show you the model and brand of your computer.
How to Check Your Laptop’s Specifications
There are many ways to find out the specs of your computer’s CPU, GPU or RAM.
Locating Your CPU
It is easy to find out which CPU your computer has in Windows 10.
- Right-click the Windows button at the lower-left corner. You will see a list of choices.
- Click on “System” in the middle section.
- Now you should be on the “about” page. About half way down you will find a section called Device Specifications. Here, the CPU of your laptop will be listed alongside the “processor”.
- The “Device Specifications” page will also tell you how much RAM your device has.
You Need to Check Your Motherboard
It’s rare that you will need to check the motherboard of a laptop. There are some simple steps that you can follow if you do need to check the motherboard of your laptop.
- Enter “system information” in the search bar at bottom of screen.
- The search results should include an app called “system data”. Click on it.
- This will allow you to access a vast array of information. You’ll notice a small piece of information at the bottom called “BaseBoard Maker.” This is your motherboard’s brand. Below that is “BaseBoard Model” or “BaseBoard Product”, which is the model number of your motherboard.
- The System Information panel can be used to determine which CPU and GPU you own, as well how many GB you have.
How to Check Your GPU
Your GPU is crucial when playing video games. You will need to identify the type of GPU your laptop has. Here’s how to determine it:
- Right-click the Window icon at the bottom left corner. This will open a menu that offers several options.
- Click on “Device manager.”
- You’ll now see a list with drop-down menus. This app lists the names of all devices on your computer as well as any connected via Bluetooth or USB.
- You’ll find a menu called Display Adaptors near the top. Click it.
- This menu will list your GPU. There might be two options, one for your standalone GPU and another for the integrated graphics on your CPU. The standalone GPU is the most important option if there are more.
Check How Much RAM you Have
You can also use many of the above methods to determine how much RAM your computer has. You can also use the instructions below to check your RAM.
- Right-click the Window’s Start button at the bottom your computer screen.
- Choose the “system” option from the menu.
- Now you will be on the “about” page. Scroll down a bit and you will see the section “Device specifications”. This shows how much RAM you have. It is usually called “installed RAM”.
Is it possible to upgrade your laptop?
After analysing your laptop’s characteristics, you might be interested in upgrading its components. Unlike desktop computers, you can’t readily update the essential components of a laptop.
The majority of laptops may be upgraded to add more RAM or storage. It is now possible to enhance graphics processing power thanks to the introduction of external GPUs.
You’ll need extra RAM and an upgrade if your laptop is old and can’t run your favourite gaming programmes. If this is the case, upgrading to a new laptop is generally a good choice. See our list of the best gaming laptops under $1,000.